Inclusive and Equitable Teaching Programs
Support for Inclusive Teaching
The Center for Teaching and Learning supports inclusive and equitable teaching for all instructors, from senior faculty to new teaching assistants. CTL helps instructors develop teaching approaches to help all students thrive to their potential, to welcome the diversity of our students in our fields, and to communicate that the diversity of our students and community is a source of intellectual vitality.
Inclusive Teaching Seminar
This seminar brings together a group of faculty for monthly discussions over the course of an academic year. Participants explore concrete inclusive strategies, developing practices and expertise they may use and share with others. Topics include:
- Cultivating Student Belonging
- Setting and Communicating High Expectations
- Connecting Your Course with the Values of Your Students
- Stereotype Threat
- Course Structures that Encourage Inclusion
- Students’ Interactions with One Another
Workshops and Events
CTL provides workshops on inclusive teaching to departments and schools upon request. Workshops may be custom designed or selected from existing CTL sessions.
Existing workshop topics include:
- Fundamentals of Inclusive and Equitable Teaching
- Rigor as Inclusive Practice
- Inclusive and Effective Mentoring
- Creating Inclusive Courses
- Difference as an Asset: Incorporating Identities in Classroom Conversations
- Engaging Race in Our Classes
CTL also periodically offers inclusive teaching workshops and events open to all faculty. To join CTL’s listserv and receive announcements, write to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Teaching Consultations and Class Observations
CTL works with instructors individually or with course teams to achieve their teaching aims, including creating inclusive and equitable classes. Send an email to email@example.com to arrange a consultation or observation.
For Graduate Students
For graduate students and post-doctoral fellows, CTL offers a four-session mini-course on Inclusive and Equitable Teaching
CTL also provides consultations on Diversity Statements for the job market.